Why have a boring BLT when you can have a fancy BLT? A crispy, crunchy, umami packed Fried Green Tomato BLT. Make these sandwiches, become a summer lunch superhero. NOM!
My junior year in college I took a class that landed me within lunch zone of the campus hotel, which houses one of the best hospitality programs in the country. Which meant that their building’s campus lunch options were super on point. Which made me the happiest of the happy because food. Real good food.
It was during those lunches that I fell in love with fancy BLT’s. This was before fancy sandwiches became a thing, because I am old. No basic white bread with a schmear of mayo and iceberg lettuce, no no no.
BLTs with sprouts!
BLTs on sprouted grain bread! Or bagels!
BLTs with brie! Or havarti!
And on and on it went. I BLT-ed myself into foodie zen twice a week, and clearly it made an impact because I’m still talking about those damn sandwiches almost two decades later.
And I’m gonna keep talking about sandwiches because today we’re eating – you guessed it – a BLT. But not just any BLT. A freaking fried green tomato BLT. NOM.
Fried Green Tomato BLT Recipe Notes
Earlier this week we talked everything fried green tomato. How to salt ’em, how to batter ’em, how to fry ’em, how to sauce ’em.
A reasonable person would have stopped and said YUM. LET’S EAT. I am not a reasonable person, and let’s be honest, bacon makes everything better. So I went the extra mile and made these fried green tomato BLTs sandwiches. I felt like an instant lunch hero, and you can too.
Fry up some bacon until it’s good and crispy. Go extra crispy for the ultimate crunch factor in your sandwich.
Grab some bread. My fried green tomato recipe is gluten-free and if you’re so inclined to follow along that trend, go for gluten-free bread (it’s the only mod you’ll need to make). My dear friend Maggie has tried every brand of gluten-free bread on the planet (seriously not hyperbole) and she swears by Simple Kneads – especially the Quinoa Power Grains. I’ve yet to try it, but I trust her like babies trust their mamas, so I give it a ringing endorsement.
Get your bread a little toasty, then slather it with garlic aioli. You *could* use mayo, but we are rocking a fancy fried green tomato BLT, and mayo is just so basic.
Then sprout it, lettuce it, and bacon it. Sprouts for more crunch and texture. Butter lettuce because fancy! and delicious.
Add a couple fried green tomatoes – no need to reheat. Then fry up some eggs in the leftover bacon fat (you’re welcome). Slap those guys on top.
Then smoosh. Gently.
That’s what I’m talking about friends. Crispy, salty, crunchy, bacon-y, gooey sandwich nirvana.
So here’s your homework this weekend:
Make fried green tomatoes
Make two fried green tomato BLT sandwiches
Share a sandwich with a friend
Become a hero
Did you make this Fried Green Tomato BLT? I’d love to know how it turned out! Leave a comment and a rating below.
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat renders and the bacon is crispy, 8-10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the skillet using tongs and set onto a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Toast the bread, then spread half a tablespoon of aioli onto each slice of bread.
- Top two slices of bread with a quarter cup of sprouts each, then two slices of butter lettuce each, then 2 slices of bacon each, then 2 fried green tomatoes.
- Drain all but 1 tbsp bacon fat from the skillet and reheat over medium heat. Gently crack two eggs into the skillet and fry until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the fried eggs with a spatula and place one egg onto each sandwich. Top with the sandwiches with the remaining two pieces of bread. Slice in half, and serve immediately.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. Rest assured, we only endorse products we own and truly love!