Reach for this healthy Chicken Salad with Apples and Fennel when you need a quick and easy lunch packed full of nutritious ingredients. Totally mayo-free, this chicken salad is dressed with a creamy yogurt dressing that’s full of flavor, but so light and refreshing. Perfect for meal prep or a quick and easy lunch, and naturally gluten free and grain free.
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to your favorite mayo-based chicken salad, this is the recipe for you! This creamy, no mayo chicken salad is a yogurt-based alternative to the classic. It’s tossed with a tangy greek yogurt dressing and made with apples and fennel for extra flavor and texture.
Serve this over your favorite greens for a healthy lunch, or fold into a wrap for lunch on-the-go.
I just know you are going to adore this light and creamy chicken salad studded with apples, grapes, fennel, and pecans. The yogurt dressing is super flavorful and creamy, but light enough to allow the flavors of the other ingredients shine.
How to Make This Healthy Chicken Salad with Apples
Make this quick and easy chicken salad with rotisserie chicken or poached chicken breasts. It has a wonderful sweet flavor that isn’t overpowered by mayo, and it’s full of texture and color.
Gather your ingredients and slice and chop the produce.
I like to julienne the apples so I get a burst in every bite, but you can also thinly slice or cut them into a ½″ dice. Slice the grapes in half and thinly slice a bulb of fennel.
Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl along with the shredded chicken.
- Feel free to use a rotisserie chicken or poached chicken breasts.
Make the dressing. Combine the greek yogurt with apple cider vinegar, whole grain mustard, salt and pepper, then whisk until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until combined.
Serve this on its own, folded into a wrap, or over your favorite baby greens for an extra punch of color and nutrition. This salad will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in a tightly sealed container.
Tips for Making This Recipe Perfectly
- Use a shredded rotisserie chicken to save time – you’ll get a combination of white and dark meat, which always adds more flavor. You can also poach chicken breasts in lightly salted simmering water for 10-12 minutes, then cool and shred.
- This chicken salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 or 4 days.
- Use organic or pastured chicken if available, and select the freshest ingredients available for the boldest flavors.
- I prefer full-fat greek yogurt for best flavor.
More Healthy Meal Prep Salads
- Healthy Chicken Salad with Almond Butter Dressing
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Orange Chicken Salad Meal Prep Bowls
- No Mayo Potato Salad
Did you make this Chicken Salad with Apple, Fennel, and Tangy Yogurt Dressing? I’d love to know how it turned out! Leave a comment and a rating below.
Chicken Salad with Apple, Fennel, and Tangy Yogurt DressingPrint Recipe Rate this Recipe
- 1 lb shredded chicken, about 3 cups
- ½ bulb fennel, (about 1 cup), thinly sliced
- 1 crisp apple, thinly sliced or julienned
- 1 c red grapes, halved
- ½ c pecans, toasted
- ¼ c chopped parsley
- 4 c baby greens, optional
- ½ c greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- ½ tsp sea or kosher salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- Gather your ingredients and slice and chop the produce.
- Combine the shredded chicken, fennel, apple, grapes, pecans, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing. Combine the greek yogurt, cider vinegar, whole grain mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl, then whisk until combined. Pour the dressing over the chicken salad, then toss until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Serve over 1 cup mixed greens, or in a lettuce wrap. Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days.