Is it sacrilege to say I’d take a steak sandwich over a burger any day? And twice on Friday? I’ll take whatever punishment awaits, because this steak sandwich is just that good. Charred and tender slices of steak, sharp cheddar, peppery arugula, and tangy pesto layered onto a buttery brioche bun are the ultimate combination.
This is it y’all. The ultimate steak sandwich. Life-changing? Maybe. Live-giving? OH HECK YES.
I prepped you for this earlier in the week with my recipe for smoky, tender Rosemary Steak. Did you note that I didn’t say how to serve it? NOT A MISTAKE.
Yes, yes, those tender shreds of beef are totally tasty on their own, served with your favorite sides. But the smartest among you won’t stop there. You’ll pile that beef onto buttery brioche buns with sharp Vermont cheddar, all of the arugula and a schmear of pesto and you will bite into the Ultimate Steak Sandwich, sit back, sigh, and be oh so happy.
Ultimate Steak Sandwich Ingredients
Steak sandwiches are made from the heart, but in just in case you need a few goalposts to determine what your heart desires, make sure you don’t skip the following:
- Rosemary Steak: charred and flavorful on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, our rosemary steak recipe is perfect for steak sandwiches. It’s delicious cold, so tuck the leftovers into the fridge to enjoy sandwiches for days.
- Sharp Cheddar: the bite from sharp cheddar is a delicious offset to sweet pesto. If you’re not a fan of the sharper varieties, a mild cheddar works too. Need more dairy options? OKAY! Provolone, swiss, and even blue cheese are great options too.
- Arugula: peppery arugula really rounds out the flavor-bomb action in this sandwich, but any baby green can be substituted.
- Pesto Sauce: homemade, store-bought, classic or gourmet, go with whatever your guts tells you.
- Brioche Buns: buttery brioche buns and grilled steak are meant to be. I buy my brioche buns at Aldi because they’re super fresh and so dang affordable.
How to Make the Ultimate Steak Sandwich
These steak sandwiches are the ultimate summer delight, and one of our favorite quick and easy dinners. Even the kids love them (sans arugula, of course!). But don’t stop there – these sandwiches are a terrific party upgrade from burgers, and perfect for serving a crowd at your next backyard BBQ or party.
Step one: make some tender, juicy rosemary steak. While the whole steak is resting, prep the rest of the sandwich so that once you slice into that tasty beef everything else is ready for go-time.
Place the bottoms of 4 (or more) brioche buns on a baking sheet. Four buns easily fit on a quarter-sheet pan, or eight on a half-sheet pan. Top each with a slice of sharp cheddar, then broil in the oven until the cheese is melty and gooey.
Top off the bottom bun with a big ol’ pile of baby arugula, and spread some pesto over the top bun.
Pile thinly sliced strips of steak over the arugula, then oh so gently top it off with the pesto-smeared bun.
And now you nom. And maybe dance, too.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwiches
- Caprese Chicken
- The Very Best Turkey Burgers
- Grilled Lemon Thyme Chicken Skewers
- BLT Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
DID YOU MAKE THESE STEAK SANDWICHES?!? I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A RATING BELOW 👇
Ultimate Steak SandwichesPrint Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb rosemary steak
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 slices sharp cheddar
- 4 tbsp pesto sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 2 oz baby arugula
- Prepare the rosemary steak according to recipe instructions (see link in recipe card above or notes below). While the steak is resting, prep the remainder of the sandwich ingredients. Alternatively, enjoy the steak for dinner and use the cold leftovers for these sandwiches.
- Position a rack at the top of the oven, just under the broiler element. Set the oven to high broil. Place the bottoms of four buns on a baking sheet and top with a slice of cheese. Broil 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Top the melted cheese with a handful of arugula (about half an ounce).
- Spread a tablespoon of pesto sauce on the top of each bun.
- Slice the steak against the grain into ¼" slices. Pile 4-5 slices of steak onto the arugula, then top with the pesto-coated bun. Enjoy!