If you’re searching for a pot of (liquid) gold, look no further. Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup cooks in a fraction of the time of roasted butternut squash soup, but still brings the fall flavor and creamy goodness you crave. Naturally vegetarian and gluten free, this butternut squash soup recipe is easily adaptable to fit vegan, Whole30, and paleo diets.
Call me crazy, but when the temperature dips, there’s only one fall favorite I want to be slurping down… and it ain’t PSL.
Butternut squash soup is one of our all-time favorite soups because butternut squash is (dare I say it?) the best squash. I mean, it’s quite literally got two of the best flavor profiles in existence – buttery and nutty – right in the name.
For a condensed post, click through to view the web story for this Instant Pot soup recipe.
Instant Pot = Quick, Weeknight Magic
I am all for anything that gets that sweet, sweet squash into my belly faster. That’s where your trusty Instant Pot comes in. We love a one pot wonder, and we especially love one that gives us “good food, fast.”
Now, I know you may miss the deep caramelization from roasted butternut squash, but I gotta be honest, (a) butternut squash is delicious no matter how you cook it, and (b) with the right garnish, there are so many more worlds of flavor to explore in butternut squash soup.
Want it creamier? Butternut squash soup with coconut milk is a thing of beauty. Especially curried. Oh yeah, you can add curry – spicy or mild.
Feeling zippy? Pomegranate seeds. (Trust me.) Or go nuts with pepitas, pistachios or pecans.
Feed your sweet tooth by adding apple to the puree, and seasoning with ginger, nutmeg, or cinnamon. Savory soupers can consider a touch of fresh sage or oregano.
Bottom line, this pressure cooker butternut soup recipe is all about that “base,” and getting you there fast. Where you go from there is up to your taste buds.
Learn more about the ways to cook butternut squash, plus step-by-step photos showing you how to peel and cut butternut squash.
- Butternut Squash: peel and seed into a chunky dice, or opt for pre-cut and package squash (typically found in the grocery aisle). Don’t use canned or frozen butternut squash puree, but you can use frozen butternut squash cubes; simply add 1 minute to the cook time.
- Broth: vegetable broth will keep this recipe completely plant-based; homemade bone broth is also delicious and will add healthy minerals.
- Thyme and Sage: fresh is definitely best, but you can substitute dried if fresh isn’t available. See the recipe card for amounts.
- Butter: we add butter at the end, just before pureeing, to create an incredibly creamy and flavorful soup without cream!
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup in the Instant Pot
Want to make a good meal “souper?” This recipe will guide you straight to the best butternut squash soup you can get from a pressure cooker. Creamy and comforting Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is a total palate pleaser that’s ready for lunch, dinner or holiday feasts in about 30 minutes.
- PREP. Chop your vegetables. See notes on preparing butternut squash.
- SAUTE. Use saute function to heat oil in Instant Pot. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with stock and turn off. Add squash and season. Toss everything together.
- COOK. Add remaining broth, then top with thyme and bay leaf. Set to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Perform a quick release, or allow the pressure to release manually.
- BLEND. Add butter, stir to melt, then puree with an immersion blender. If you don’t have one, puree in batches in a traditional blender.
- FINISH. Season to taste. See below for garnish suggestions. Serve warm.
- Pomegranate seeds, for a fun and unexpected burst of sweetness.
- Fresh Herbs, like thyme, sage, or parsley.
- Chopped toasted nuts or seeds, like pepitas, pecans, or pistachios
- A splash of heavy cream or coconut milk
Make it Your Way
Spicy: add 1 poblano pepper and/or 1 jalapeno pepper (with our without seeds) along with the onions, celery, and garlic.
Spicy Curry: for a spicy butternut squash soup with a curry twist, add 1-2 tbsp thai red curry paste to the sauteed vegetables and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant; garnish with thai basil or cilantro.
Mild Curry: add 1 tablespoon good quality curry powder and 1 teaspoon each turmeric and cumin for a milder curried butternut squash soup. You might also want to add ½ teaspoon dried ginger or 2 teaspoons fresh ginger with the garlic. Try adding 1 diced apple as well, as curry really blooms with sweet flavors.
Coconut Oil: swap for the olive oil in cooking; this pairs especially well with spicy or mild curry.
Ghee: Add ghee in place of butter for a lactose-free soup that’s also paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Vegan Butter: Use compliant butter for vegan butternut squash soup.
Apple: add a peeled, diced crisp apple for a slightly sweeter finish.
Is It Healthy?
Uh, yup. Vegetarian butternut squash soup is loaded with antioxidant vitamins A and C, plus it’s packed with fiber. It’s friendly to a wide range of dietary needs.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup
- Simple lunch: it’s a great partner for the classic lunch pairing of soup and salad (try our Endive-Pear Chopped Salad or this Sweet Potato-Kale with Maple Dressing) or soup and a sandwich (keep the meal vegtarian with a roasted vegetable sandwich, or think poultry – sliced roast turkey or try our Healthy Chicken Salad.)
- Simpler lunch: just serve it alongside your favorite fresh bread!
- Fancy Feast: Creamy Butternut Squash Soup is a classic opener for any holiday meal! Plus, cooking butternut squash soup in the Instant Pot frees up lots of oven and stove space
Freezing and Storing
Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Our Best Butternut Squash Recipes
- White Bean Ragout with Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Fries with Maple Aioli
- Butternut Squash Panzanella
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Bacon
- Butternut Squash Noodles
- Roasted Butternut Squash Galette
Did you make our instant pot butternut squash soup? I’d love to know how it turned out! Leave a comment and a rating below.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash SoupPrint Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced to ½”
- 2 stalks celery, sliced to ½”
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced (4-5 cups)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 c broth (vegetable or chicken), divided
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage, or 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes, just until the garlic has some color. Deglaze with ½ c stock. Turn off the saute function.
- Add the squash, then season with sage, salt, and pepper. Give everything a good toss.
- Pour in the remaining broth, then top with the thyme and bay leaf.
- Pressure cook manual high pressure for 10 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes for the pot to come to pressure. Manual release or NPR.
- Add the butter and stir to melt. Puree in the pot.
- Garnish with fresh sage or thyme, heavy cream or coconut milk, and pomegranate seeds. Serve warm.