Subtly sweet and oh-so-filling, Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are a quick and nutritious side dish. This recipe is so easy to prep, quick to make (just 20 minutes!), and super healthy, too. They’re versatile too – these crispy sweet potato nuggets make an excellent addition to salads, bowls, and more.
I’m a big fan of “good food, fast.” (I mean, who isn’t?) But my air fryer has taken my noshing to a whole new level. When I finally put two and two together and realized I could be cranking out “roasted” vegetables at the push of a button, I went a little crazy (even for me). I blame the ease and crispiness of air fryer potatoes (the white kind) and of course the healthier sweet variety followed.
I regret nothing.
Because, yes, air fryer sweet potatoes are an awesome veggie side dish that you can whip up to accompany chicken, beef or black beans in a literal matter of minutes. And yes, they are so good as a base for breakfast hash and a hearty addition to salads.
But tossing diced sweet potatoes in the air fryer also makes a pretty dang delicious snack. And when you reach a (ahem) certain age, you can no longer eat an entire bag of chips on a Friday night and suffer zero consequences.
For a condensed post, click the view the web story for these air fryer sweet potatoes!
Why Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer?
I’ve found that most sweet potato lovers fall into one of two camps – those who crave holiday-style sweet potatoes, and those who rely on sweet potatoes as a healthy starch. The first group will happily nosh on maple-sweetened standards like sweet potato casserole and cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes, while the second is trading them for white potatoes at every opportunity available (I don’t blame you – I’ll never go back to regular steak bites).
But air fryer sweet potatoes are a variation we can all get behind:
- They’re fast. The air fryer is super speedy, and they cook in half the time required for oven roasting.
- The texture is perfect. Crispy skin and tender interiors, oh my! The way an air fryer cooks (by circulating very hot air all around the food) means perfect texture every single time.
- They’re healthier. The air fryer requires less oil, and if you’re minding your calories or fat intake, it’s a definite win.
How to Cook Sweet Potato Cubes in the Air Fryer
How can something so delicious be so nutritious? Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are a quick and easy side dish that doubles as a base for bowls or a sweet salad booster. Plus, they’re loaded with fiber and antioxidants, and broadly compliant for nearly every diet – gluten free, Whole30, paleo, vegan, and more!
- Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, and your choice of seasonings.
- Arrange in the air fryer in an even layer.
- Air fry at 400°F for 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- For the sweet version, drizzle the maple syrup over the sweet potatoes and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Cook time may vary based on the size of the sweet potato dice. We used a 1-inch dice for both quick cooking and easy piercing.
- Go savory instead of sweet – skip the maple syrup and adjust the seasonings. See the recipe card for options.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Cook in batches if needed, and keep cooked potatoes in a 200°F oven to keep warm.
- There’s no need to peel the sweet potatoes first (just give ’em a good scrub first, then dry well), but you can if you prefer them without skins.
Sweet: ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, 1 tbsp maple syrup.
Savory: ¾ tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp paprika, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp ground pepper.
Nuts and/or Seeds: garnish with ⅓ cup chopped pecans, walnuts, or roasted pepitas; toast nuts and seeds first for deeper flavor.
Dried Fruit: add 2-3 tablespoons of raisins, dried apples or apricots; dice larger pieces first, add with the maple syrup, and cook 1-2 minutes to soften.
Serving Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
While these are delicious as a side dish, we also use this recipe as a springboard for other dishes:
- Make a faster breakfast salad.
- Make a vegetarian black bean bowl.
- Add to fajita bowls in place of polenta.
- Use in place of roasted potatoes in this keema curry.
More Simple Air Fryer Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Crispy Seasoned Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Have you tried sweet potatoes in the air fryer?? I’d love to know how they turned out! Leave a comment and a rating below.
While you’re at it, let’s be friends – follow me on Pinterest and Instagram for the latest and greatest.
Crispy 20-Minute Air Fryer Sweet PotatoesPrint Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 1.5 lb sweet potatoes, about 2 large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, and seasonings (sweet or savory).
- Transfer to air fryer basket and arrange in an even layer.
- Air fry at 400°F for 15 minutes; stir or shake once halfway through.
- For the sweet version, drizzle the maple syrup over the sweet potatoes and cook 2 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.
- Nutritional information calculated base on “sweet” variation.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 350°F for 3-5 minutes.
[…] Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes […]
[…] just to toss them right back into the proverbial fire. And while I’d gladly nosh on crispy air fryer sweet potatoes or these dreamy maple roasted sweet potatoes all day long, they deserve a bit of […]