Subtly sweet and oh-so-filling, Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are more than just a super simple – and versatile – side dish. These crispy sweet potato nuggets make an awesome base for salads, bowls, and hash. Easy to prep, quick to cook, and vegan, paleo, and Whole30 friendly.
I’m a big fan of “good food, fast.” (I mean, who isn’t?) But my air fryer has taken my noshing to a whole new level. When I finally put two and two together and realized I could be cranking out “roasted” vegetables at the push of a button, my uh, daily eating habits took a turn. And these sweet potato nuggets are to blame.
Yes, they’re an awesome vegetable side dish that you can whip up to accompany chicken, beef or pork in a literal matter of minutes. Yes, they are so good as a base for breakfast (or breakfast for dinner) hash. But tossing diced sweet potatoes in the air fryer also makes a pretty dang delicious snack. And super healthy too!
I mean, I’m constantly testing air fryer veggies in recipes for varying stages of optimal doneness but somehow, these air fried sweet potato cubes have become a go-to when I just need a snack that’s a bit more substantial and satisfying.
If you need that crackly crunch of a sweet potato chip, then yeah, no, just save this air fryer sweet potato recipe for dinner. But if you’re more in it for the lightly sweet, earthy flavor, just trust me on this one. Buy a 5lb sack, cause once you pop, you can’t stop.
For a condensed post, click the view the web story for these air fryer sweet potatoes!
Why Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer?
Number one, they cook much quicker – it’s got light years over roasting, in fact. But second (and arguably more importantly), I think the texture is better. I find that Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes turn out crispier every time, and I ain’t mad at that.
Though, to be fair, that entices me to snack on these lil sweet potato bites more, rather than make a meal out of ’em, and I usually wind up eating all the air fryer sweet potato chunks myself. But I also ain’t mad at that.
How to Cook Sweet Potato Cubes in the Air Fryer
How can something so delicious be so nutritious? Diced Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are a quick and easy side dish that doubles as a base for bowls or a sweet salad booster. Plus, these sweet potato chunks are loaded with fiber and antioxidants, and broadly compliant – gluten free, Whole30, paleo, vegan, and more!
- Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, and your choice of seasonings.
- Arrange in the air fryer in an even layer.
- Air fry at 400°F for 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- For the sweet version, drizzle the maple syrup over the sweet potatoes and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Cook time may vary based on the size of the sweet potato dice. We used a 1-inch dice for both quick cooking and easy piercing.
- Go savory instead of sweet – skip the maple syrup and adjust the seasonings. See below for options.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Cook in batches if needed, and keep cooked air fryer sweet potatoes in a 200°F oven to keep warm.
- There’s no need to peel the sweet potatoes first (just give ’em a good scrub first, then dry well), but you can if you prefer them without skins.
Make It Your Way
Sweet: ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, 1 tbsp maple syrup.
Savory: ¾ tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp paprika, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp ground pepper.
Nuts and/or Seeds: garnish with ⅓ cup chopped pecans, walnuts, roasted pepitas; toast nuts and seeds first for deeper flavor.
Dried Fruit: 2-3 tbsp raisins, dried apples or apricots; dice larger pieces first, add with the maple syrup, and cook 1-2 minutes to soften.
Serving Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
While these are delicious as-is, we most often use this recipe as a springboard for other dishes:
- Roast diced sweet potatoes in the air fryer with salt and pepper, then use them to make this Steak Bites and Sweet Potatoes dinner.
- Make vegan black bean buddha bowls.
- Use in place of roasted potatoes in this Keema Curry for a nutritional punch: in a skillet, toast 1 tsp of curry and cumin, plus ½ tsp coriander in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for 2-3 minutes and drizzle over air fried sweet potato cubes.
More Easy Air Fryer Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Apples
- Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
Have you tried sweet potatoes in the air fryer?? I’d love to know how they turned out! Leave a comment and a rating below.
Air Fryer Sweet PotatoesPrint Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 1.5 lb sweet potatoes, about 2 large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, and seasonings (sweet or savory).
- Transfer to air fryer basket and arrange in an even layer.
- Air fry at 400°F for 15 minutes; stir or shake once halfway through.
- For the sweet version, drizzle the maple syrup over the sweet potatoes and cook 2 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.
- Nutritional information calculated base on “sweet” variation.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 350°F for 3-5 minutes.