Tired of the straight-up margarita? This strawberry basil margarita is a fun twist on the classic. It’s a sweet, tart and refreshing cocktail, perfect for summer outdoor sipping!
Hey, hey, hey! It’s been a minute or two since I shared a survival cocktail, and I think it’s about time we remedied that travesty because…it’s Cinco de Mayo! Truth be told, it’s been a really, really long time since I celebrated this holiday in any meaningful way.
(4) Worked in bars for too long.
(5) Did I mention kids?
I think you get the picture. But ’tis the season, and when in Rome…
I’m sure you’ve all been inundated with a bazillion recipes for classic margaritas this week, so hopefully this strawberry basil margarita can shake things up a bit. These guys are sweet and tart, but most importantly brimming with the most seasonally appropriate nectar-from-the-gods, the almighty tequila.
Ahhh, tequila. When shot with lime it’s lover to all and friend to none.
But stirred into this festive and seasonal strawberry basil margarita, topped with the perfect amount of salt and poured over crushed ice? Yes, yes, yes.
Strawberry Basil Margarita Recipe Notes
You might be thinking “eh, too much fuss”. But I promise you these don’t take that much longer than the classic cocktail. To transform a standard margarita into a strawberry basil margarita, you simply need a blender (I love my Ninja!) and a muddler. Easy peasy limey squeezy.
Still not convinced? Let’s talk about the “health benefits” of this strawberry basil margarita. (Yes, I know what I did there with the air quotes, but indulge me).
(1) Strawberries = antioxidants + vitamin C
(2) Basil = vitamin K (and a dash of A and C, just for fun)
(3) Raw Honey = nature’s antihistamine. Well…sort of. The efficacy is controversial, but I reason that it can’t hurt. I start incorporating bits of local raw honey into our diet a few weeks before pollen season to lessen allergy symptoms (and given the intensity of this year’s pollen, I’ll literally put it in anything, as evidenced by this post).
So there you have it. Delicious, fun, and (sort of) nutritious. Bottoms up friends.
Strawberry Basil Margarita Summer Cocktail
- 1/2 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/2 c. blanco tequila
- 1.5 oz. Cointreau
- 1 lime juiced (about an ounce)
- 1 tbsp honey raw if you have it
- 2-3 basil sprigs
- kosher salt
On the Rocks
- Pour about 1/4 cup of kosher salt onto a small side plate. Rub the juiced lime rhine around the edge of two rocks glasses, then dip each glass into the plate of salt to rim the edges. Fill each glass with crushed ice or several ice cubs.
- Place the strawberries, tequila, cointreau, lime juice and honey into a blender. Blend thoroughly on high until the strawberries are pulverized. Finely chop the basil and place into the bottom of a decanter or cocktail shaker. Muddle the basil to release the flavors and oils. Pour the blended margarita ingredients into the decanter along with the muddle basil and stir vigorously to incorporate. Pour into salted, iced glasses and serve immediately.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of kosher salt onto a small side plate. Rub the juiced lime rhine around the edge of two rocks glasses, then dip each glass into the plate of salt.
- Place the strawberries, basil, tequila, cointreau, lime juice, honey and a few handfuls of ice (6-8 cubses) into a blender. Blend thoroughly on high until the strawberries, basil, and ice are pulverized. Pour into the salted glasses and serve immediately.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission if you make a purchase using these links. Rest assured, we only endorse products we own and truly love!