Get ready to get shreddy. Crockpot Buffalo Chicken makes many a zippy, easy meal. Coat tender white meat with a blend of our signature Buffalo sauce and tangy ranch dressing for a creamy spin on this family favorite. Perfect for meal prep or a freezer stash! Crockpot Buffalo chicken is low carb with dairy-dree variations for Whole30 and paleo diets.
Time to stand in my truth. Y’all, sometimes, I really don’t want to cook. For like a week. And I don’t mean I do it begrudgingly; I mean I have moments where I wonder how skilled the arson investigators in my county are, and whether or not I can get away with just a gentle, centrally located blaze in my oven so I can throw my hands up and proclaim “Guess we’re having takeout!”
And that, my friends, is why you’ll find so darn many of my recipes “freeze beautifully.” Because even in those moments where I’m close to going full-Carrie, I remember that even at my most cranky or tired, even I can muster up the finger dexterity to push a few buttons on the microwave.
Crockpot Chicken is Where Easy Method Meets Bold Flavor
Creamy Crockpot Buffalo Chicken is just one of many of our freezer-friendly dishes that tastes just as good as it did when it came out of the slow cooker. (Yes, even with the dairy!) Better yet, it can be served in lots of ways, so you don’t box yourself into yet another dinner dilemma, wondering what to do once it’s thawed.
In fact, this shredded buffalo chicken makes for such an easy dinner, you might even find you can manage to “cook” it even if you’re in the same aforementioned mood. That’s the beauty of hands-free cooking – no matter what you put in the crockpot, at the very least it’s going to be a mentally healthy dinner.
How to Make Crockpot Buffalo Chicken
Big, bold buffalo flavor is the star of this easy slow cooker dinner. Crockpot Buffalo Chicken cooks low and slow for heaps of hands-off shredded chicken in a zesty, creamy sauce that’s perfect for sandwiches, wraps, pizza and dip. Signature buffalo sauce recipe included below.
- Whisk hot sauces with garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika until smooth.
- Arrange chicken breasts in a slow cooker, then pour the sauce over the chicken. Place butter on top.
- Cook on high 3 hours or low 5-6 hours, or until the chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred.
- Add ranch dressing to the slow cooker sauce then whisk until well combined.
- Return the shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with the sauce. See below for serving options!
- If you’re paleo, Whole30, or avoid lactose, make dairy free buffalo chicken using our homemade Ranch Dressing recipe to keep the dish compliant; be sure to use ghee in place of butter.
- You can swap the ranch dressing for one packet of ranch seasoning mix, or one-quarter cup of homemade mix.
- Even with the added dairy, this Crockpot Buffalo chicken recipe freezes really well! Transfer to an air-tight ziploc bag and store in your freezer for up to 3 months.
Adjusting the Spice
Adding ranch dressing to the sauce creates a creamy consistency and helps tame spice for sensitive tongues and tums.
Spice your shredded buffalo chicken recipe up or down based on the type of hot sauce you use (see below).
Hot Sauce Options
Perfect buffalo sauce looks like this: Not one, but TWO different hot sauces, plus good butter. (My mom swears by doubling down to achieve a more complex flavor.)
- Frank’s RedHot is our first choice. It’s that perfect balance of vinegar and heat without being “I need a gallon of water stat” spicy. It’s made from just 5 simple ingredients – aged cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, and garlic powder.
- Texas Pete is a bit more vinegary than Frank’s and also not overly spicy. It does have additives, though, so it’s not appropriate for paleo, Whole30 or keto recipes.
- Crystal Hot Sauce is a great option if your conscientious of additives. With just 3 food ingredients (aged cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, and salt) it’s perfectly tangy.
- Cholula isn’t a typical choice, but if you like your Buffalo chicken hot and fiery, this one’s for you. Do be aware that this sauce contains xanthan gum.
IMPORTANT: Don’t use “wing sauce,” which is a pre-mixed buffalo sauce with added butter flavors and thickeners. Be sure to buy pure hot sauce.
How to Use Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- Swap out the buffalo chicken bites in this Buffalo Chicken Salad.
- Serve over coleslaw and top with sliced avocado and blue cheese crumbles to make a healthy buffalo chicken bowl.
- Try this awesome Buffalo Chicken Dip from our sister site, The Snack Blog.
- For a healthy dinner option, try Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a unique, hearty meal.
- Grab your favorite buns and make Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches – top with coleslaw for crunch!
- Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza. Spread a thin coating of Buffalo sauce on your favorite pre-made or homemade crust and top with shredded Buffalo chicken and mozzarella cheese. Bake according to instructions. Top with blue cheese crumbles and green onions.
More Slow Cooker Shreds
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja *The Latest*
- Easy Crockpot Salsa Chicken *Family Favorite*
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef
- Crockpot Apple Cider Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken *Most Popular*
Did you make buffalo chicken in your slow cooker? I’d love to know how it turned out! Leave a comment and a rating below.
Crockpot Buffalo ChickenPrint Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer across the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a small bowl or mixing cup, combine the two hot sauces, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika; whisk until well combined. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Dot the butter over the chicken breasts.
- Cover and seal the slow cooker. Cook on high 3 hours, low 5-6 hours, or until the chicken is very tender and can be easily shredded with the tines of a fork.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred.
- Add the ranch dressing to the sauce and whisk until well combined.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and toss with the sauce.