You’re about to be bowled over by the big, bold flavor of Buffalo Chicken Bowls. Our tender crockpot Buffalo chicken is right at home on a crunchy bed of tangy carrot and celery slaw. Top with creamy avocado and sharp blue cheese for a perfect finish! Buffalo Chicken Bowls are low carb with dairy-dree variations and accommodations for Whole30 and paleo diets.
They weren’t lying when they said March comes in like a lion. Frankly, my Crockpot Buffalo Chicken recipe might have been the only good thing to come out of last week. So let’s keep those good vibes going by eating a big ol’ bowl of it…
These Buffalo Chicken Bowls are dedicated to everyone who has no gumption to eat. I don’t mean you’re too busy to make food or to overwhelmed to go get it, I mean you can’t find time to eat it. What you’re going to do is make time to prep. No excuses. Just do it. Get your buffalo chicken in the slow cooker, get your slaw together, and portion everything out.
Watch The Recipe Video!
Now, here’s the key: proceed as normal, with your best of intentions. Assemble your Buffalo Chicken Bowls for lunch or dinner, take a big bite, stop to appreciate how tasty it is, and then do what you always do – get so distracted that you forget you have food.
Now, when you finally look up from what you’re doing (budgets, homework help, doom scrolling, etc.) in about an hour and see a heaping bowl of creamy Buffalo chicken on a bed of fresh, crisp veggies, take a big ‘ol bite. Then, once you realize that unlike most other meals you get distracted from, Buffalo Chicken Bowls still tastes friggin’ amazing, you can thank me by finishing it before your avocado goes completely brown.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Bowls
Though technically not a superfood, these Buffalo Chicken Bowls definitely have super powers. Slow-cooked shredded Buffalo chicken and tangy, crunchy slaw – with carrots, celery and radish – hold up almost all week long! Finish these super fresh and flavorful meal prep friendly bowls avocado and blue cheese for a creamy finish.
Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- Whisk hot sauces with seasoning until smooth. Arrange chicken breasts in a slow cooker, then pour sauce over the chicken. Place butter on top.
- Cook on high 3 hours or low 5-6 hours, or until the chicken is very tender.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred.
- Add ranch dressing to the slow cooker sauce then whisk until well combined.
- Return the shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with the sauce.
- Combine thinly sliced and/or julienned cabbage, carrots, celery and radishes with minced parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients until emulsified.
- Pour dressing over coleslaw and toss to combine.
Assemble the Bowls
- Layer chopped romaine lettuce and a coleslaw in a bowl.
- Top with shredded buffalo chicken.
- Finish with avocado slices and blue cheese crumbles.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
- Pre-shredded veggies are a handy kitchen hack! Looked for pre-shredded cabbage and carrots in your produce aisle to make the prep quicker.
- We love our mandoline for making quick work of thinly sliced or julienned vegetables like radishes and celery.
- Store the chicken and coleslaw separately – each will last in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- The buffalo chicken portion of the recipe makes enough to serve 8. Reserve half for another purpose – it freezes beautifully!
How To Keep Coleslaw Extra Crisp
If you plan on making these bowls for meal prep and want to keep your slaw extra crisp, try this tip! Salting the vegetables will draw out moisture and keep them crisp longer:
Place the slaw vegetables without dressing or parsley into a colander and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine and let sit for at least one hour, and up to 4 hours. Gently blot out extra moisture with a paper towel or tea towel until the veggies are dry. Combine the coleslaw vegetables with the dressing, then toss and serve or store.
Make It Your Way
Swap the romaine lettuce for rice or quinoa for a heartier bowl.
Make it dairy free! Use ghee or vegan butter and our dairy-free Ranch dressing to make the shredded buffalo chicken. Skip the blue cheese crumbles and add an extra drizzle of ranch.
Our Best Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Bites *Most Popular*
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken *The Latest*
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps *Diet Adaptable*
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Did you make these buffalo chicken bowls? I’d love to know how they turned out! Leave a comment and a rating below.
While you’re at it, let’s be friends – follow me on Pinterest and Instagram for the latest and greatest.
Buffalo Chicken BowlsPrint Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ c Frank’s Red Hot
- ½ c Texas Pete’s
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup ranch dressing, optional
- 4 c shredded green cabbage
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 c shredded carrots
- 6 radishes, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- ½ c chopped parsley
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 tbsp blue cheese crumbles
Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer across the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a small bowl or mixing cup, combine the two hot sauces, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika; whisk until well combined. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Dot the butter over the chicken breasts.
- Cover and seal the slow cooker. Cook on high 3 hours, or low 5-6 hours, or until the chicken is very tender and can be easily shredded with the tines of a fork.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Add the ranch dressing to the sauce and whisk until well combined. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and toss with the sauce. Reserve half the chicken for another purpose, or store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Combine the cabbage, greens onions, carrots, radishes, celery, and parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, cider vinegar, honey, cumin, salt and pepper in a small lidded jar. Shake until emulsified. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss to combine.
Make the Bowls
- Place 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce into a bowl. Add 1 heaping cup coleslaw and 3 ounces shredded buffalo chicken. Top with ¼ of an avocado and 1 tbsp blue cheese crumbles. Serve immediately.
For those of us not familiar, what is Texas Pete’s?
It’s a brand of hot sauce. Using two hot sauces makes the buffalo sauce even tastier, but you can use just Franks if that’s what you like!