Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
When my children come calling for snacks, I can feel pretty good about serving them these chocolate pumpkin muffins. Made with wholesome real foods like pumpkin puree, eggs, maple syrup, and extra virgin olive oil, these muffins are impossibly moist and tender and perfectly spiced. They're completely sugar free, dairy free, and ready in just 30 minutes.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Cooling Time 35 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c mini chocolate chips optional
Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners.
Place all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until completely mixed.
Combine all wet ingredients in a second mixing bowl, then whisk until incorporated and completely smooth.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold until just barely combined. Do not over mix (some lumps are okay). Add the chocolate chips and fold into the batter.
Portion the batter evenly into the muffins cups (a standard sized ice cream scoop is the perfect measurement).
Bake 20-22 minutes until the tops are puffed and spring back gently when pressed with your fingertips. Remove the muffin tin from the oven, and cool the muffins in the tin for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins and cool on a rack for 30 minutes. Store muffins at room temperature covered loosely with a tea towel for up to 3 days; in the fridge loosely covered for up to a week; or frozen in a gallon freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- Be sure to use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Substitute 2 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice instead of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Use an ice cream scoop for mess-free, perfectly portioned muffins.
- Cool the muffins for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from sticking to the liners. For best results, I love these parchment-like liners.
- For a completely dairy-free recipe, use dairy free chocolate chips from a brand like Enjoy Life.
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 241mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 48% | Vitamin C: 1% | Calcium: 86% | Iron: 4%