Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Thighs - Paleo and Whole30
This sun-dried tomato chicken is an easy weeknight dinner the entire family will love. It's a one-pan paleo and Whole30 compliant recipe you'll turn to again and again.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes drained and chopped
- pinch dried oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 c full-fat coconut milk
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
Preheat the oven to 350.
Slice the shallot and set aside. Chop the garlic and sundried tomatoes and set aside.
Pat the chicken thighs dry with cotton or paper towels, then sprinkle the top and bottom with salt and pepper.
Place a 10” cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the ghee, and heat until it shimmers. Place the chicken thighs in the skillet skin side down and sear until the skin is golden brown and crispy, 7-8 minutes. Using tongs, remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside on a plate or cutting board while you prepare the sauce.
Add the shallot to the skillet and saute until light golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, 1 minute.
Add the sundried tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and saute until the tomatoes are soft, 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and whisk the sauce until the ingredients are incorporated.
Lay the thyme sprigs on top of the sauce, then place one chicken thigh on top of each thyme sprig.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the chicken registers an internal temperature of 160* using an instant read thermometer, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven (use oven mitts, as the skillet will be very hot). Spoon the sauce over the chicken, and serve immediately.
To Serve with Sautéed Spinach as Pictured:
- While the chicken is baking, heat a second skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp ghee and heat until the fat shimmers.
- Add the spinach and saute, tossing continuously, until the spinach is barely wilted.
- Transfer the spinach to a platter and top with the chicken and sun-dried tomato sauce.
- Alternatively, divide the spinach between four plates, top each bed of spinach with one chicken thigh, and then spoon the sun-dried tomato sauce oven each plate of chicken and spinach. Serve immediately.