Buffalo Chicken Bites (Boneless Buffalo Wings)
These boneless buffalo chicken bites are perfection. Lightly battered and pan-seared, they're crispy on the outside with a moist and tender interior, then tossed in my mom's signature buffalo sauce.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast patted dry and diced into 2" pieces
- 1/2 c cornstarch or arrowroot powder for paleo
- 2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil for paleo
- 1/2 c Frank's RedHot
- 1/2 c Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce or your favorite hot sauce - see suggestions in post
- 2 tbsp butter
Combine the cornstarch, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and paprika in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
Add the chicken to the cornstarch mixture; toss until evenly coated.
Heat a 12" non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Add half the battered chicken to the skillet in a single layer. Sautee 5 minutes until the breading is lightly golden brown, flip the pieces, and sautee 5 minutes on the other side. Remove the chicken using a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces, adding additional olive oil as needed.
Add the butter to the skillet and melt, scraping up browned bits as it cooks. Add the buffalo sauces to the melted butter and whisk until combined.
Add the cooked chicken to the buffalo sauce. Toss to coat all pieces in sauce, then cook an addition 3-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce slightly thickens. Serve immediately with blue cheese or ranch dipping sauce and sliced carrots and celery.
To bake instead of pan-sear:
- Tap off any excess cornstarch when transferring the chicken bites to the skillet so that the breading crisps, not clumps
- Keep an eye on the heat while sautéing; adjust as necessary to ensure the breading browns and doesn’t burn.
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread a very thin coating of oil on the parchment (or spray with olive oil cooking spray).
- Prepare the chicken bites through Step 2.
- Spread the battered chicken bites onto the parchment paper in a single layer, leaving a bit of room between each piece. Bake for 7 minutes, flip, then bake an additional 7 minutes on the other side. They should be lightly golden brown.
- Continue to Step 4.
Calories: 198kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 1662mg | Potassium: 225mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 32% | Vitamin C: 2% | Calcium: 3% | Iron: 4%