Whole30 Hamburger Soup
Classic hamburger soup is made by simmering ground beef with veggies and a starch in a savory tomato-based broth. This Whole30 compliant version incorporates bell pepper, yukon gold potatoes, and fresh green beans, making it both colorful and nutrient dense. The resulting dish is more stew than soup, and is a hearty stick-to-your-ribs dinner that the entire family loves.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion diced to 1/2"
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large carrots diced to 1/2"
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper seeds and stem removed, diced to 1/2"
- 12 oz yukon gold potato diced to 1/2"
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes pureed in the blender
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz green beans trimmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
Heat a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the ground beef and sautee, stirring frequently to break into pieces, until browned and no longer pink, 6-7 minutes
Add the onion to the beef and saute until soft, stirring occasionally, 6-7 minutes.
Make a well in the center of the pot and add the garlic. Saute until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the tomato paste and stir until incorporated into the beef and onions.
Add the carrot, celery, bell pepper, and potatoes, then top with the pureed tomatoes, beef broth, salt, pepper, and herbs. Give the soup a good stir, then top with a bay leaf.
Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 20 minutes.
Add the green beans, and stir into the soup. Simmer an additional 5 minutes until the green beans are cooked through.
Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
- This recipe called for pureed tomatos, NOT tomato puree. To make pureed tomatoes, simply dump a can of diced tomatoes into your blender and blender for 30 seconds.
- Frozen green beans can be substituted for fresh. Reduce simmering time to 2-3 minutes, until the green beans are just cooked through.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 767mg | Potassium: 744mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 4650% | Vitamin C: 179% | Calcium: 80% | Iron: 4.7%