Paleo and Whole30 Parsley Pesto
This vegan, paleo, and Whole30 compliant parsley pesto is literal awesome-sauce. It's fresh and tangy, a perfect topping for almost everything, and ready in just 10 minutes.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 1 bunch fresh parsley about 2 cups
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 c unfiltered extra virgin olive oil
Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the walnuts and dry roast, stirring frequently, until the walnuts are golden brown and fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Be mindful that they don't start to burn. Remove the skillet from heat and immediately transfer the nuts into the bowl of a food processor. Allow the walnuts to cool for a couple of minutes while you gather your remaining ingredients.
Add the parsley, chives, garlic, salt, and a pepper to the walnuts and process until the nuts and herbs are pulverized, about 10 seconds.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl, flip the motor to continuous, and pour the olive oil through the feed tube in a continuous stream. Continue to process until oil is incorporated. The resulting pesto will be on the thinner side, so that it’s easier to drizzle. If you prefer a thicker pesto, reduce the olive oil to ⅓ c.
This recipe makes approximately 1 cup of pesto, and a (generous) serving size represents two tablespoons. You may need more or less per serving depending on your food delivery vehicle of choice.
How to use Whole30 parsley pesto:
- Sprinkle it over roasted potatoes and vegetables.
- Slather it on grilled or pan-seared steak, salmon, or chicken.
- Toss it with spaghetti squash for a pesto "pasta".
- Drizzle it over scrambled eggs.
- Use it to dress a dinner salad loaded with raw veggies and grilled protein.
- Eat it with a spoon (just kidding...kind of).